Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 12:49 AM

kahlonsa wh4tev4

WK3isbald

Satbi 1989 5178988135 dr.sp 14 jaystrucking7@gmail.com inb

votingforjudge

ballot box

3232 22

face

inb

calend

tumb

feedl

shirani shahbazi

i peed myself

how to decorate uneven yard

sloped backyard

blm,black live

woc

artists of

resea

in

gee gee

You probably already know about Carrie Mae Weens, mostly because you know everything, but I didn’t know her work and really enjoyed this articlemisa isa benn

Rockland residency and reaching out Hi Isa!

I wanted to reach out to you personally now that you have received the email letting you know that you did not receive the Rockland Residency. I really appreciate you applying, and I enjoyed the body of work that you submitted. The jury was all-white, and I had a difficult time getting even one person of color to be considered, so don’t take it personally that you were not selected.

As I mentioned on Instagram, I really enjoyed what I could watch of your longer form video, and I encourage you to continue to make that kind of work. Obviously, it must be so expensive/cost-prohibitive, but you have such a natural eye and keen awareness of developing suspense and narrative — I am kind of dying to see a full-featuring something closer to a from you! It’s selfish, I know, but it seems like it would be so freakin’ good.

I do have some pointers that might help you with future applications:

-When you are writing statements and bios, try to be concise and efficient. I really enjoyed your writing style, but I think some of the jurors keep in mind that when jurors are reading through your statement, yours is one of hundreds that they are sifting through. Communicating your personality is critical, but so is being clear and not overly floral, if that makes sense.

-Have more work available to view on your website. Jurors will often go on websites to get a more complete picture of an artists’ practice, so it is always a good idea to have an updated, easy to navigate, and well-maintained website.

Okay. That is all.

I just wanted to reach out to say I enjoyed your application, and I am bummed that you didn’t get the residency.

Stay in touch!

SatpreetWarmly,

PS: If you don’t know Carrie Mae Weems work, you should check it out. I was reading this article tonight and it made me think of you: specifically the part about her cinematic piece Lonnie, Lincoln,and Metumb

-Carrie Mae Weems, artsycarrie

art,artists,artist inter

artsy,black repr

black live

resear

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Notes on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 12:56 AM

Nov 1

Sinking back into daily life. Trying to make a semblance of home in this little place. Carving out a nook for myself. I miss meandering in my studio, standing at my table, looking out the window.

There are so many shadows in this place

Surrounded on all sides by other houses and apartments, closed in

I see the movements of our neighbors shadows in their windows

We eat at the same time and wash dishes at the same time

I see them come home with their children

Oof. So overdramatic.

I think I need a studio. But money.

Oh, what will I do.

This place feels better than Bemis ever felt to live in. BUt where will I work? How will I work?

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 1:17 AM

fli

ont

lax

on

trip legs flight

on

lax

ont f

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Thank you! I will contact them!

nipple is hard and p

inb

j, , Studio space HI Judith and Hank!

My name is Satpreet Kahlon. I am a full-time visual artist, and I was told by Sofya Belinskaya that Wisteria Design Group currently had one private studio and one larger shared studio space available for rent.

My old studio space was a live/work space in the Bemis Building in SoDo. I moved out because I wanted to live separately from my work, and now l at the end of September am looking for a new space!

I do sculptural work rooted in textile traditions. You can see my work here: www.satpreetkahlon.com

I would love to get more information about the spaces and perhaps come check them out!

Thank you!

Satpreet YES. Get. It.

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:03 AM

mai

Newsletter 1, November: Test#1 My first ever newsletter! + November reading list signaturesatpreet kahlon logoalogologo sat logo satpreet_kahlonsignature website

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Finder on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:05 AM

logosatpressignature satpreet_kahlon lod

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:10 AM

dr

logo

satpreet kahlon

signature

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Photoshop CC on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM

signature_logo

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM

192

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Photoshop CC on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM

d

)low opacity_

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Satpreet Kahlon’s news Order a catFirst newsleetIntroduction, catalog offer, and november reading list! aWelcome to my first ever newspetterl

So. Hi. If you are receiving this email, you are probably surprised and confused, because , chances are, you probably signed up for my email list a long time ago, never received anything, and promptly forgot all about me and my work.6208N

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM

iris

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Photoshop CC on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM

November_email_banner

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM

tmb

tumb

8–00 100 020 1 1

0 2 1 But here I am, years after putting it on my to-do list, I am finally sending out a newsletter. It’s a big day for everyone. But mostly me.

just for

http://www.satpreetkahlon.com Oh my gos. It’s a real life newsletter.

I’m not going to take you through what I’ve been up to for the last year, because no one has time to read that, but I will give you a highlight reel of the last o here’s what’s been happening in the last month: participate in my project sat

I started a new project where I am asking people to contribute anonymousrespond anonymously to the prompts: “Share somehting you did not say that you wish you had,” and “ when was a time in your life when you felt truly loved?” Click through to contribute your own answers. 3 2 0 10

8 18 insta

1. Contribute to my new participatory project: I started a new particapatory project that you should contribute to! 2. I just got done with a month-long residency at Cen This was m y first ever real life The Emerging Artist Residency at cent

Centrum invited me and five other promising artists from the PNW to come live and work in Port Townsend, WA for the month. It was a deeply gratifying experience that really helped me recalibrate and get into the studio and play without pressure for the first time in about a year.

I am deeply grateful to the my fellow residents and the people at Centrum for making this such a great experience.

f

Hi! New project! Residency! GAP Grant! Yes! See more images from my residency M 3. I received an Artist Trust GAP Grant! www.satpreetkahlon.comsatpreet. satpreet. satfaceb/sa Facebook /itssatpreet artist trust gap

Thank you so much to Artist Trust for awarding me with a GAP Grant this year. The award winner list is super impressive, and I am honored to be a part of it. I really do believe that Artist Trust is an organization that is doing their part in making sure artists from marginalized communities get more recognition and funding. ama

surge protector

flat long big

10ft surge protector flat

Basically, the only way I could get myself to send out a newsletter was to make sure that I was offering readers something, rather than just doing endless self-promo. I came up with the idea of Since I do a lot of reading and research, I decided that, with every monthly newsletter, I would send out a reading list. So without further ado, here it is:4 Your November Reading List Why I’m Done Talking About Diversity, Marlon James

: In this artIf you are an artist of color in Seattle, chances are you have been asked to be on a diversity panel, probably without pay, probably to have conversations you’ve been having endlessly for years. At what point do we realize this model isn’t working? Marlon James has some great insight on the topic.

2. Grief Magic, Emily Rapp: There’s really nothing I can say about Emily’s essay (from 2013) about her grief following her son’s death. For anyone who has experienced the loss of someone close to them, this essay puts words to feelings you had but could never begin to articulate. An example: “”

3. , ntwuan Sargentu : : Maybe I’m late to the party, but this article was the first I had heard of Carrie Mae Weems work. Carrie has had a full and extensive career, with her work being and her newest body of work, which brings thoughtful, beautiful, and heartbreaking dialogue about the Black Lives Matter movement into spaces like MoMA is so needed.

4. Who Gets to Write About What, Kaitlyn Greenidge: This article has been making the rounds, but with issues of cultural appropriation still being so rampant in the art world, it seems important to include it. I see this in Seattle all the time: White-identified artists continuing to perpetuate the tradition of Euro-centric cultures taking from, benefiting off of, and exploiting the imagery, culture, and heritage of populations that have so little representation very little institutional power. If you love a culture and a country so much, practice self-sacrifice to elevate artists from that culturmentor so that they can tell their own stories. No excuses!

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Notes on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Used in Reading LIst:

November:

--—

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Okay. That’s my super long first newsletter. Thanks for bearing with me. And of course, feel free to forward this to your cool friends who like cool things (because I’m cool, right guys? Right?) or to unsubscribe below! No hard feelings (except of course I w mostly).

-Satpreet Kahis has been me@satpreet.net

loganfranken@gmail.com dr.spatula@gmail.com kahlonsa@msu.e member rating

inb

trustedge

sister’s artist

artist statement””

ka geewesley@gmail.com Gee Wesley allye.gaietto@gmail.com Allye Gaietto Beate Ackroydlaura.sutton14@gmail.com Laura Sutton iisgottlieb513@gmail.com r Iris Gottlieb n.kahlon05@gmail.com Navneet Kahlon dw.loralyn@gmail.com Debra Warren suegoethel@comcast.net Susan Goethel Campbell antoinetteoot@gmail.com Antoinette Oot jaystrucking7@gmail.com Kulwinder Kahlon freemanjul@gmail.com Julia Freeman tracy@twilightart.net Tracy Cilona thealiceg The AliceThe Alice Gallery mworthley@centrum .org Martha Worthley penumbra

Robin Sloan natalie subscriber

face

nanatalie natalie venuto email

in

natalie venuto Natalie Venuto kim kim beren

Kim Berens beth.berens@gmail.com Elizabeth Berens November New01: November 2016, Newslett mail

you signed up for my mailing list at satpreetkahlon.comY signed up for my mailing list at www.satpreetkahlon.com my wesbite. bsite or purchased something from my store. NovemberSatpreet Kahlon: Newsletter + November Reading List A monthly newsletter from Satpreet Kahlon, a fine artist located in Seattle. visual News on the Centrum Emerging Artist Residency, the Artist Trust GAP Grant, as well as reading list for November! i

face

Hi everyone!

So, I’m finally getting a bunch of stuff knocked off of my to-do list (thanks in huge part to @Centru

and all the time I was granted due to my residency there). One of the big things is putting out a newsletter! Like a real life professional! I know! It’s so exciting!!! You’ve all been on the edge of your seats. I know! I know!

So here it is. If you want to subscribe, click subscribe at the top of the page when you click through, or go to my homepage: www.satpreetkahlon.com

Woo hoo! Self promotion and stuff!!! My first ever newsletter. The goal is to send one once a month. face

It will include updates on what I am working on, as well as a reading list of articles and essays that I think are worth sharing. This month’s reading list includes an essay on grief from Emily Rapp, an article about the inadequacy of diversity panels by Marlon James, and more! a couple others. grant

grant Updates Hey Grant!

Just wanted to check in and see if there were any updates on the status of this project! No rush, just figured I would send a little email to say your way.

Back from my residency and hoping to Hope things are going well for you!

Best,

Satpreet

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:46 PM

f

anna h Unfortunately, I already went to go check this space out and don’t think it will work for me due to limited wall space. For someone who works smaller/on tables, I think it would be a great space!

Thank you for thinking of me. <3 Yay community!

iris writing

susan evans

fa

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Ahh thank you!

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM

I thought about your newsletter and one other newsletter as golden standards for myself

Apretty good actually. three days before i was supposed to leave, i was like “i will never want to leeeavvve!!!” and then the day before i was supposed to leave something clicked or changed and ii was like “okay i’m ready!”

i know. it really worked out. once in a lifetime sorta situation. and i really just gave myself the month to do whatever i wanted without pressure, and i think that’s the first time I’ve been so kind to myself (other than work stuff i had to get done of course) maybe since i was 8, and i think it paid off in a huge way

i feel in such a different space and place and my work is changing really quickly. i’m working much more digitally and doing work all about accountability and transparency

i don’t know, it’s crazy

how are yoooouuu?

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM

yeah for real

that, and i started a project where i installed this hacker software onto my own computer that logs everything i type, and then i’m publishing it on my website every night

calling it “digital monologue”

and I just had the idea for/started this thing about 10 minutes ago called an Annual Transparency Report where i’m going to document all of my earnings and spending and how many things i applied to and what i was rejected from and what i was accepted to and then funnier smaller things uhhh a week

i haven’t published it the last couple of days but i need to

i love it.

i’m holding myself accountable and it helps me remember shit i’ve said and written.

i don’t really know what yet, but — i’m just tired of everything being so obtuse and hidden in the art world and ppl being sneaky about how much money they have and their families wealth and how shit is getting done — but i figure if i’m gonna critique it i have to start with myself

and some months logan subsidizes my rent and i need to own up to it

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM

sa

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM

yeah exactly

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 2:58 PM

insta/avocadotoast

iris gottlieb

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM

so just thinking about those things and trying to make my work less labored/reliant on craft

gettinghow are you? your pun game has beenhaha exactly

and sometimes the labor distracts from the actual message

it’s like — at what point am i just making beautiful labored work because i know i can and i’m afraid if i make work that seems too “easy” it won’t be valid?

yeah

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM

cal

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM

That works for me!

yeah i don’t know. i’m grappling with it a lot. especially because there is something inherently and historically feminine and referencing my heritage when i do labor intesnve shit, so i dont want to turn away from it — but how can i include it without pigeonholing myself or limiting myself to one kind of work?

do you sturggl with this shit?

(btw your pun game has been so on lately)

(not that it’s never NOT on, but it’s especially killer right now. it’s your pun moment. i feel it)

i guess i meant more broadly in like “is this the kind of work i should be making if i make different work is it still my work am i making this work because i want to or because i feel like ppl like it

etc etc”

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM

“t” yes to that

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM

andandall the thingi think that’s so important and valid — i think there’s this idea with art (that i perpetuate for sure) that it has to be about suffering or something so serious and academic — but work like yours is both smart and serious and funny and, maybe most importantly, accessible

i think about that accessibility is such a huge issue that the art world has to contend with, and i think humor is a huge access point, as well as less obtuse language

yeah

ugh ur so wise iris.now i’m just looking through your insta marveling at your genius

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Hi Chieko and Michelle!

Give me what you got! I’m all ears.

Thanks,

Satpreet So wonderful to be introduced, Michelle! in terms of grants Looking forward to working together Hey Chieko!

I am well, smiling, but not dancing (as of right now). But 2 outta 3 isn’t bad, right?

As far as what I’ve been up to: just got back from my residency at Centrum two days ago, adjusting to Seattle life, trying to find a studio, making new work that is workable in a lack of space.

I have nothing major going on in the next few weeks. I am thinking about leaving town from the 20-27 for Thanksgiving, and I will be gone maybe the first week of December and the 20-29th of December. Other than that, I’m open! f

Haha. Nice manuvering the i’m in interbay/magnolia area. i know, don’t ask. whatever. i’m trying to feel okay about it.

calend

Wed and Thur after 5:30 work for meeee! Next week, f

spo

The Office of Arts and Culture is looking for folks to make work and engage the community on topics of homelessness and displacement.

Because I am sick of well-off (mostly white-identified) artists making work about these issues, I would love to see artists who have had these issues affect these them/their communities personally make this kind of work.

I would like to offer my services f you are new tothis kind of application process, I to two people to help you through the process. Not that I’m an expert, but I have some experience.

The opportunity comes with a stipend of $1500.

If you are interested and need help, please comment below! :) Please don’t be shy. I am very serious about helping. We need to get these kinds of opportunities into the hands of folks who can speak to them in a real, nuanced, and specific way. Unfortunately, we never seem to think we are qualified/good enough to get this stuff.

YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH. I can help you with the beaucrocratic stuff!logistical Let’s do it!mai

sat

feed

tumb

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM

!!!!!!

Are you Did you meet at Carpe

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM

carpenter 123

provid

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM

That makes me so happy!

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 4:52 PM

face

tu

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Messages on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM

you get what’s yours, georgia

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:11 PM

inb

benben

Dig that yo jun en

f

spring roll Absolutely. I guess I personally always feel like I could never get things, and I know that imposter syndrome is more common amongst PoC and WoC, so I was just speaking to that. :)

But yes. It seems like a lot of these applicatio

, that is a very real factorpeanut sauce spring roll

mango lemongrass

face

ASure! Hit me up when you get a chance

inb

inb

weather

98199face

Yeah, I’m just not starting to be on juries for things, and it’s usually me in a group of white folks, and no one wants to look at applications that aren’t written in the “proper” style (needless to say, it is the white style) or take a risk on someone who has great experience but may not have as much experience, or for some reason the art just “doesn’t speak to me” is something I hear a lot. It’s really frustrating.

Until we get more PoC at the top and in the juries, it will be slow to change.

In my experience (and I am a non-Black PoC, so I have privilege there, for sure), Office of Arts and Culture is good about giving money to underrepresented artists, so hopefully they’d be willing to be more inclusive in a project like this.

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience. That sounds really frustrating. As a non-Black PoC, I bring a lot of privilege into any room that I walk into.

wi(once again, a privileged non-Black PoC experience

, and therefore my experience is different/has been more positive, due mostly to things that have nothing to do with the quality of my work, I am sure.

in large part

If you ever just want to get together and talk, I would love to hear more about your experiences.

inb

Hi Anna!

Thanks for contacting me — I am still looking for a space. Is this in the same building?

And may I ask the cost?

Thank yogtfoBut it’s an undue burden to ask Indigenous women to educate you. You have to educate yourself and educate the white people around you. Even if you have the best of intentions, as it seems like you do, it is not the job of the oppressed to educate the oppressor.

I mean, no one’s surprised, and yet this still hurts. Why is it that PoC are expected to deal with so much condescension how to roll sushi

oh i got plenty more where that i came fromyah npcubs

our taxpayer dollars hard at work. wonderful

u!Hopefully money will be prioritized for Indigenous women

what is this???? omg

woody

ca

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Notes on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:17 PM

-—

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:21 PM

best suv under 35

inb

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Notes on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Thursday, Nov 2:

-Get work station set up

-Finish rice piece

-Hanging mechanism for rice piece

-Work on tile piece

-Start Cat’s photos

-Start wedding invite -Meet Marisa for coffee?

-Ask STeve forr recommendation

-Email Susan Campbell

-Email SASA

Friday, Nov 3:

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Google Chrome on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:42 PM

cal

Typed by Satpreet Kahlon in Notes on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:50 PM

-First ThursdayFinish tile piece

-Prepare for talk @ Tacoma

-Submit Minted invite stuff

-Cat’s photo

HOUSE TO DO

Living Room:

Put up shelves for plants—Find small work table/shelf to work on

-Repost couch ad

-Sell couches

-Hang coat hanger

-Buy wood for longer shelves

-Install shelves

-Find new couch

Kitchen:

-Find and order kitchen island

-Rearrange kitchen stuff

-Buy wood for shelving

-Install shelving

-Set up work station

Bedroom:

-Find and order bedframe

-Figure out closet situation

-Put down rug

-Put up curtains

-Put up lighting

-Put up curtains

-Find short curtains for door/window -Sort clothes

-Put clothes in basement

-Bring plants in -Hook behind door

Bathroom:

-Deinstall towel hanger

-Hooks behind door

-Art on wa

-Sort everything

Priority:

-Sell couches

-Buy new couch

-Put up shelves for plants

-Work table set up